Saturday, September 12, 2009

Toilet Seat

Yesterday I Refinished the antique toilet seat for the main bathroom. I got the seat with an antique toilet a few years ago for $10. The toilet will eventually go in the upstairs bathroom but I need the seat for the main bathroom.

It had sat outside for years so it was in very rough shape. It had literally come apart at the seams. The lid had only come apart in two places but the seat was in like 20 pieces. I sanded the seams down and glued and clamped it back together, I did that part last year but I didn't get any pictures of it though, sorry.

Here is what it looked like yesterday before I refinished it:

I removed the hardware and let it soak in some TSP. Then I sanded the lid and seat down and then gave it about 5 coats of amber tinted shellac.

Once that was done I scrubbed the hardware down and put it all back together.

Here's a picture of it on the toilet:

It's going to need a few more coats of shellac to match up with the tank better but for now it's ok.

Of course I was also working on the scraping and painting of the house yesterday. This was how far I got:

Finally! That horrible peach color is almost gone!

1 comment:

Christopher Busta-Peck said...

Wow. I'm impressed that you were able to line up all the old glue lines on the seat. It's a pain in the neck, I know. Looks great, though. Also, I really like that you appear to be staying with a wood floor in the bath. It's a pain to take care of, but the look is worth it, I expect.