Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Kitchen Backsplash pt 2

Yesterday I laid the grout for the backsplash. The float I had was too big so I had to use a mud spatula and the grout was runny so it was a messy job.

Here are a few after pictures:

I guess now would be a good time to unveil the new island we got:

In two days I'll seal the grout.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Kitchen Backsplash pt 1

Yesterday I began working on the kitchen backsplash. I put this off for a long time because I thought it was going to be a real pain to install. It turned out to be quite easy. The only thing is, once you start you cant stop so it gets a bit tedious after a while.

Here is a picture of the first section, most of the cuts were just cutting the tile in half for the top and bottom of the diamond portion. The only other ones were around the outlets and a few at the ends of the walls. I'm using 4x4 Country Beige travertine with a 1/16th in. grout line.

Here are a couple after pictures:

We will be hanging corbels under the edge of the cabinets on either side of the hood vent, that is why some of the pencil trim looks like it's missing on either side of the framed in area in the picture below.

The black circle is the water line for a pot filler.

This afternoon comes the grout.

Monday, December 28, 2009


Sorry that it's taken me so long to get a post together. A lot has been going on lately. We had to get our other house emptied out so we could put it up for sale. This took over a month, we have way too much stuff. We didnt have anywhere for it to go so we ended up getting a booth at a new antique mall that opened up here in Woodbury. It's worked out quite well as we've sold a lot of the extra antiques we've collected over the years.

I have managed to get some work accomplished on the house though. I finally wired up a light in the upstairs bathroom. Tiling the shower and finishing the bathroom is the next project I have lined up. I should be able to start on that by next weekend.

One of the projects I was working on is the Nursery. My wife is pregnant and the baby is due in late spring so I had to get this room completed.

Here's a couple of before pictures to show what I started with:

The paint was flaking everywhere so I had to scrape and sand very thoroughly to remove it all. I also had to frame out the doorway to the laundry room that is seen in the picture above. You can also see some holes in the wall that needed patching.


Then I primered and painted everything.

Here are a few after pictures:

There are still a few things left to finish off. There are a few pieces of trim left to install, there are still two small holes in the wall to fix, the doorway and door to the laundry room needs to be primered and painted, the steps to the laundry room need to be built (the ones in the picture are temporary), the electrical in the entire room needs to be wired, the oak chest needs to be painted white, the floor needs to be painted, and we need to find a nice large plush white rug. We also need to get a mattress for the bed and finish decorating.

The other project I've been working on is the kitchen backsplash but I will save that for the next post (tomorrow, not 3 months from now hopefully!).