First thing I did was frame out the doorway. First, I made the sill.
Then I framed the doorway and installed the french door.
I used some original plinth blocks on the inside. I dont have any spare fluted casing though so I had to go with plain for now. I will be having some milled to match the original down the road, once I do that I will replace these and install rosettes in the upper corners as well.
I also installed the french doors that go to the hallway and to the deck.
All of these french doors are salvaged. The doors that lead to the hallway and living room were a pair that came from an old 1906 farmhouse that was being torn down. The smaller door that leads out to the deck was one I found online for free.
As with the screen doors, they all fit the width but not the height of the door frames. These were all too long though and had to be cut down.
I found a really great mortise lock while at a flea market, I got it for $3. It has a dead bolt built into it. I installed it into the door that leads to the deck since this is an outside door. I used an antique set of rosettes and door knob to give it more of an original look.
I still need to find an escutcheon for the dead bolt part of it and finish sanding around the knob. I had to use wood putty to cover the old holes in the door.
The other major undertaking was the sunroom walls.
Some mold had appeared on the inside walls of the sunroom. This was because of a drainage issue that I am working to take care of. I scrubbed the mold off with bleach then primered the inside of the walls.
As you can see in the above picture I also had to run all the electrical in the walls first. I also sealed all the cracks with expanding foam.
Then I insulated the walls.
I was going to use grooved plywood on the walls but instead went with a press-board material that looks like cedar planks.
There is still a lot left to do in this room. I need to insulate the ceiling and put up beadboard, install all the window trim, then paint the room.