Sunday, January 11, 2009

Building the new kitchen wall

We were back at the Woodbury house yesterday. First I needed to tear down the 3 foot sections on either side of where the new wall will be. I had to be careful doing this so as not to disturb the plaster walls next to it.

I used a circular saw to make the cuts. I cut the chair rail and picture rail at 45 degrees since the corners will need to be mitered to meet the new wall. For the very top and bottom I used a sawzall being as careful as I could. I still knocked a little bit of plaster off one area though but it should be pretty easy to patch up.

Here's my chalk line for the first cut:


I cut along the line with the circular saw then removed the plaster and lathe from the wall:


Then I did the same for the other wall:


With that done we spent the next few hours cleaning up the plaster on the floor. We also got rid of a bunch of old appliances in the house by giving them away.

Then we got to work on building the wall:


The studs are a standard 16" on center configuration.




Today We'll be heading back out there and I'll install the header above the door, the door casing, then the wainscoting and the chair rail.

No comments: