Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Porch floor

I finished the porch floor yesterday. It took two days to complete.



For the curved section of the porch I laid the new floor the same as the old one was. I started by adding 2x10's laid flat in between the joists for the edge of the floor to rest on. Then I snapped a chalk-line from the corner of the house to the center of the curve.


Then I took a straight piece of flooring and temporarily nailed it along the line. This gave me something to butt the mitered ends of the flooring up against.



Once all the flooring was laid on that side I removed the nailed down board.


And then began on the other side.


Here is the finished floor.






If I have time today I will cut the long ends of the flooring and finish installing the trim boards. Then it's on to the columns.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

The porch looks great! I love the curve, I'm sure it was a pain to do but the finished product is so worth it. Hope you are finished in time to enjoy it this summer.