Friday, March 26, 2010

Shingling the front porch roof

I finished felting the roof on Wednesday.




Then finished the flashing. When I was flashing the area by the balcony I discovered more rot so some floor boards had to come up.


...and be replaced.



I will go back and finish felting this area later.

Next it was on to the shingling. I started in the valleys, I used a half-weave. This is where you lay the shingles on the smaller roof first overlapping on to the larger roof then snap a chalk line in the center of the valley and shingle up against the line for the larger roof.





The next part was shingling the curved part of the roof. This turned out to be a major pain in the ass. I had to cut each of the 3 tabs apart and notch the edges of each one. The angle of the notch got progressively sharper with each course.






and yes, as you can see in that last picture it was raining again.

I finished the shingling last night but it was too dark for pictures so I'll take some later today.

3 comments:

Shane said...

All I have to say is this: you're fast :)

Jason and Heather said...

Thanks!

I sure dont feel fast though. It seems like this porch is taking forever!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.