Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kitchen subfloor & bathroom demo

On Sunday I started working on the kitchen subfloor. There were a lot of holes in the floor from moving the wall and it wasn't level. I had to remove most of the oak flooring that used to be part of the dining room as it was too high.

Then I had to add plywood of differing thicknesses to the area to build it up level.

Then I added plywood to the other low area to level it off.

With the floor now level I will be adding 1/2" plywood over the entire floor then putting the backer board on top of that.

We went back out on Monday to work on the upstairs bathroom. It needed to be demoed so the plumbers can rough in the new plumbing. Here is a before shot.

Here is after removing all the paneling that covered the walls and ceiling.

With the old paneling removed I was able to see that there was originally a closet that was smaller in size here. The green paint would have been the hallway and the unpainted boards were in the closet. It looks like in 1937 (the date on the tub, toilet, and sink) the closet wall was moved out a few feet to add the bathroom.

I also found lots of remnants of the original wallpaper that was in the hallway.

In the first picture you can see the cheesecloth that they hung the wallpaper on.

Yesterday we found a really good deal on a refrigerator. It was originally close to $3000 but was marked down to $1999. I told the manager that I would be paying cash and asked if he would take $1400 and he did! Here is a pic of the fridge, I found these pics online.

Tomorrow I will be picking up our new double ovens, I'm getting a really good deal on it too. It was originally listed at over $3000 but I'm getting it for $1199. Both appliances are completely new in the box.

Today I spent the afternoon underneath the house removing all the old cast iron plumbing and the old metal radiator piping in preparation for the plumbers, they will be starting on Thursday. I wasn't able to get all of it removed but I got a lot of it done.

Our 40 yd dumpster should be on site tomorrow so I can start filling it with all the trash that has accumulated so far.