This is a big project that I have been needing to get done for a while. Especially now that it's getting cold out. The cold air comes up through all the holes in the floor so this project had to get done.
As I've mentioned before the side hall was converted into a bathroom in 1928, last year I tore the wall down and turned it back into a side hall.
The Red Oak flooring on the first floor was installed over the original floor sometime in the 40's so the side hall didnt get done since it was a bathroom at the time.
I started by tearing up the plywood.
and found linoleum underneath.
I pulled that up and the original flooring under that was pretty rotted, which I had expected, so I pulled that up.
Of course most of the floor joists were rotted and hacked up and patched so I tore out the rotted ones and installed new ones. I used 2x8s ripped to a full 6" to match.
I took this opportunity to do a few other things under the house that needed to get done. I dug out a large area under the ducting so I could have access to underneath the bathroom, I ran some electrical from the bathroom, and I removed the 2 return vents that the moron HVAC guys had put in. They will be relocated to the dining room.
After that I put the sub-floor in with old 1x boards that I had.
Then I pulled up the old red oak flooring on the other side of the hall.
Then laid down felt paper.
Then I began the flooring. For the door sills that go to the bathroom and the sunroom I used 5" wide oak flooring. I kept the tongue on the sill so I could lock the flooring into it since it has grooves on the sides.
Here are some shots of the progress.
I still have a little strip along the wall to finish up. Not sure yet when I will be able to sand and finish it.